What to do if I was accused of retail theft and I was cleared of the charges but now they won’t let me back into the store?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was accused of retail theft and I was cleared of the charges but now they won’t let me back into the store?

Not too long ago, I was arrested and charged with retail theft. Upon attending the preliminary hearing, I was cleared of said charges, due to lack of evidence. The store that prosecuted me was a convenience store, no more than a block away from my house. The problem I have arrived at is that the store still refuses to let me on their property, since the charges were filed. Normally, this would be no big deal, but since I do not drive, there is not a store within walking distance to acquire my everyday things. Is there legal recourse I can take?

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country an owner of a business has the right to refuse service to anyone it desires based upon any legitimate reason. The retail  store has a legitimate reason to restrict your access to the store based upon the facts that you have written about. Unfortunately for you there is no legal recourse that you can take as to the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption