What to do about a shady dealership?

UPDATED: May 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a shady dealership?

The dealership is buying back the contract on my car due to fraudulent claims made to bank. The bank still owns the car and is waiting for dealership to send money back. Was instructed by bank not to return car to dealership until they get their money. Once bank said OK, I was to call the dealership to exchange car for down payment. Now I have no car, no down payment and my car seats, wallet and other personal belongings are still in the car. They did this at 5:00 pm, right when the bank closed and dealership closed at 6:00 pm. I called the police and was told this is a civil matter. Dealership never notified me about buying back the contract or to return the vehicle. This is their way of punishing me for blowing the whistle to the bank.

Asked on May 5, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems that you need to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of automotive law since law enforcement deems your matter a civil matter. You bought a car (presumably over time) and your car has been taken from you along with your personal items.

Another thing that you can do is to contact your local department of motor vehicles. This entity in most states is typically in charge of overseeing consumer complaints against dealerships.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption