What to do if I’m being wrongly charged for damages by my former landlord?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being wrongly charged for damages by my former landlord?

Recently I moved out of my apartment and left it spotless. Now I have a bill for over $4,000. They want the money in 6 days. They always went into my apartment without notice. I went to the hospital and came back with a note on my door saying that I have 3 days to get my apartment clean or they will evict me. I picked up and left that night. They waited for a month, did not do a walk-through with me, then charged me all these different charges. When I first moved in we did a walk-through and none of the things that were wrong with the apartment were fixed.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the say you owe them for damages and you believe that you did not, you shouldn't pay them--though it would be a good idea, for the record, to send them a letter, in some way which you prove delivery (e.g. fed ex; certified mail with return receipt; etc.) disputing the charges. The letter should be as specific as you can be, but stick purely to facts and be professional. If there are any charges you do agree that you should pay, you might want to offer to pay those in exchange for a release from any/all other liability.

If they still want to get the money from you, they can (1) take it from your security deposit, at least to the extent the deposit will cover it; and/or 2) sue you. If they sue you, they have to be able to prove that you owe the charges, at least by a preponderance of the evidence, and you have the chance in court to dispute their evidence and present evidence in your own favor. If they take the money from you deposit and you feel they were not entitled to, you have the option of suing them for the deposit's return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption