If someone is a minor, what are the steps to start a non-profit organization?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone is a minor, what are the steps to start a non-profit organization?

A minor in CA is interested in starting a nonprofit organization. It will help in education overseas like building libraries, etc. by partnering with local organizations. Is there anyway he can create this organization as a minor. The organization is planing to get 501(c)3 tax exemption, so can his parents (legal guardians) co-sign the legal documents?How did other minors do it? His parents are willing to be liable.

Asked on July 25, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The minor child who desires to start a non-profit organization needs to have his or her legal guardians (usually parents) create the non-profit on the child's behalf at this stage. The parents/guardians would be responsible for the non-profit until the minor reaches 18 years of age which is the age of majority in California.

In California, contracts entered into by minors are voidable by the minor at the minor's election. Most documents required to create a corporation or a limited liability company in this State require signatures by an adult.

I am not aware of many situations where a minor child in California has ever started on his or her own, without the assistance of an adult a non-profit organization.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption