If I move out of state, will it affect my spousal support payments?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I move out of state, will it affect my spousal support payments?

My spouse and I are filing for an uncontested divorce after 8 years of marriage. We don’t have any children but my spouse has agreed to provide me with spousal support. I am filing for divorce next weekand then plan on moving out of state in 2 months after that. Will my move legally affect or complicate my ability to receive spousal support? I will be asking for a “lump sum” alimony payment and establishing a “pay by” deadline date. Is there a formula or calculator that I can use to determine a fair “lump sum”?

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The key factor here in your question is that you and your husband have "agreed" to spousal support.  I say this because spousal support is NOT mandatory in dissolution (divorce) proceedings in California.  The courts have the discretion to deny spousal support after they have reviewed about 14 relevant factors listed under California law.  If you and your husband agree to a one time pay out - which really sounds more like it could be structured as a settlement of assets agreement -  then it is doubtful that the court will over ride the agreement between you.  But if he objects to your demands (and I might consider re-wording the "deadline date" as it is a bit off putting) then you could be digging your own grave, so to speak.  You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption