What are our rights if our landlord has just informed us that they will be selling the house and we have to move out ASAP?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if our landlord has just informed us that they will be selling the house and we have to move out ASAP?

We signed a year lease 4 months ago. There is nothing on the lease that talks about lease being terminated early or about the property selling.

Asked on June 18, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The sale of a rental property does not terminate an existing lease (unless the lease specifically proovides otherwise).  Under the law, a buyer purchases such property "subject to" and any lease in effect at the time. This means that the buyer must honor the lease for the balance of the lease term (assuming that the tenant is not in breach). Basically, the new landlord steps into the shoes of the old landlord. 

Note: The security deposit is transferred to the new landlord who then has the obligation of returning it to the tenant the same as if they were the original landlord. 

At this point you should consult with an attorney who specializes in these cases, or at least contact a tenant's rights group, for a further explaination of your rights under applicable state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption