What to do if I was assaulted physically by a supervisor at work?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was assaulted physically by a supervisor at work?

With a room full of witnesses, everyone refused to give a statement. The person involved gave a statement and left out the only important detail that he hit me. My company was supposed to investigate but instead fired me. I’m sure you need more information but I believe I have grounds for a lawsuit. What do you think?

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You definitely have grounds for a lawsuit against the person who attacked you--assault is tort (or something you can over) as well as a crime. However, you probably can't sue the company: an employer is not liable for the criminal actions of its employees, unless the company had reason to know the employee was likely to do that criminal act and knowingly turned a blind eye or somehow, even indirectly, facilitated it. Assuming that's not the case, however, the company is not financially responsible if an employee chooses to break the law, such as by assault; it is also not responsible if people chose to not get involved or give statements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption