What can I do if I currently want to pursue ownership of my deceased grandfather’s home?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I currently want to pursue ownership of my deceased grandfather’s home?

The deed is in his name and his son (my father) is still alive. It has been 2 1/2 years since his passing and the house has sat with no care or monetary upkeep. I am not sure that he has claimed the property thus far, being that I am not involved with my father. Anyway, how can I as the granddaughter claim the property? Is it possible if at all? Please keep in mind that I have been involved in my grandfather’s life since I was born, inversely proportional to my fathers relation with him.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  Has there been an estate opened and did your Grandfather have a Will?  If no Will then the intestacy statute in your state will govern how the estate is passed down. Check the probate court in the county in which the house is lovcated to see if anything has been done.  It is a public record.  If you want it make the "estate" an offer to purchase. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption