If I’m trying to get my A.S. in early childhood education and need a DCF background check, will an expunged case show up?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m trying to get my A.S. in early childhood education and need a DCF background check, will an expunged case show up?

I’m 17 years old, almost 18, and currently enrolled in college. I got my GED last year and have otherwise been in good standing with the law. I was charged when I was 14-15 years old with a misdemeanor for domestic violence. I was told my case would be expunged if I didn’t get in trouble again.

Asked on September 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You were a minor and usually those records are sealed. If it does show up on a background check, it means it wasn't expunged. Expungement is not automatic.  You should consider checking it out yourself and then if it doesn't show up you are fine.
Contact an attorney to run an FBI and state criminal records check for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption