What to do if I was a witness to someone pulling a gun on a friend and my friend is pressing charges but I want nothing to do with it?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was a witness to someone pulling a gun on a friend and my friend is pressing charges but I want nothing to do with it?

I have a private investigator calling and going to my family’s houses trying to contact me. He said he wants to meet up with me to give me a subpoena. If I dont show up he says he will issue a felony warrant, contact the state to cancel my EBT, contact IRS and any other benefits I get. Can he do this just because I don’t want to appear in court or meet up with him?

Asked on December 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you do not respond to a lawful subpoena to appear for testimony, if and when you are properly served with one, you could be subject to sanctions, including possibly jail time (such as for contempt of court). The sanctions are not as extreme as he is saying--he's trying to scare you--but they are real and they are serious enough that, if you are served with a subpoena, you should appear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption