Will I need a lawyer if I recently got a trespassing ticket at a concert and was intoxicated?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I need a lawyer if I recently got a trespassing ticket at a concert and was intoxicated?

I am 18. I never breathalyed, but it may have been apparent. I have never been arrested before. It seems to me like this is a small offense but please let me know. Will I need a lawyer for sure or could it be optional? Also, I was taken to jail and released at 5AM. No other charges were on my ticket.

Asked on December 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Here is the deal. Trespassing is usually considered a strict liability crime. You don't need to intend to trespass, the fact of trespass is enough for a violation. Voluntary intoxication (especially underage intoxication) is even worse. You should hire an attorney to see if this can qualify as a delayed conviction matter wherein it can be taken off of your record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption