Is it legal for me under US law to provide online psychological services for US residents?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for me under US law to provide online psychological services for US residents?

I’m lifelong social anxiety sufferer who recently overcame his condition. I would like to offer on-line consultations to those with the same problems. I live in Russia and our laws do not seem to demand any license for such a practice. I don’t have license or any formal qualifications. When working with US residents can I encounter any legal problems under US law?

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Business Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all likelihood you will be required to have a license to do what you wish to practice in the United States concerning online psychological services. The scope of what you desire to provide is not set forth but all states in this country have requirements for licensing with respect to treatment and therapy of pyschological problems.

The rationale is that one who has a license has undergone the training and testing required by each state for such licensing through the entity that oversees and regulates such a profession has the expertise and knowledge to do the services provided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption