If I was fired today and I do not think it was fair, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was fired today and I do not think it was fair, what can I do?

I am 10 weeks pregnant and my job knows this. I have taken a few doctor excused work days off. Today due to morning sickness my boyfriend called my job telling them I was over the toilet and I would be a little late. The a.m. manager told me to call her at 2 pm and let her know if I felt up to coming in. 5 minutes later they called back and he answered they told him its not working out with me and for me not to come back in. Is this allowed? I never got a verbal or written warning.

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sex-based discrimination, which includes discrimination against women due to pregnancy or child birth, is not allowed. So you may not be terminated because you are pregnant.

On the other hand, you may be fired if you violated company policy or were excessively absent. So, for example, whether or not you had a doctor's excuse for the work days off, if you did not have sick days to use and did not take FMLA leave (to be covered by FMLA, your company must have at least 50 employees and you must have worked there for  a year), then you may have been improperly absent...or if work policy required you to call personally, or call in with more notice than you provided, that could be a violation.

So you may not be fired due to being pregnant, but could be fired for policy violations. If you feel your termination was improper, you should consult with an employment law attorney--you may be entitled to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption