What are my rights if I am currently on 2nd year of my H1B?

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I am currently on 2nd year of my H1B?

My PERM is approved with a priority date of 13 momnths ago; I-140 is filed and pending approval. I am hoping this would be approved in about 4 months from now.However, I am planning on switching employers. Can I carry over my priority date with new employer? If so, are there any conditions like minimum period to wait after I-140 is approved to carry over the priority dates to new employer?

Asked on April 29, 2014 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa which allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreing natiuonals in specialty occupations. I

If a foreign worker in H-1B status quits or is dismissed from the sponsoring employer, this worker must either apply for and be granted a change of status to another non-immigrant status, find another employer (subject to application for adjustment of status and/or change of visa), or leave the United States.

In short, you have to apply for a whole new H1B visa since you are planning on changing employers. The minimum period to wait regarding the I-140 visa is three months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption