health insurance representative is misleading?. what should i do?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

health insurance representative is misleading?. what should i do?

I called my insurance company about claims that they were being denied. It was for my pregnancy. I asked a representative if i was covered for the claims that they were denying and he said yes and that the doctors office was putting in wrong claim numbers i continued seeing the doctor and after the fact the doctors office called them and the said i wasnt covered for the pregnancy. i have bills upon bills what am i to do?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Something sounds very, very wrong here.  As far as I know, health insurance companies in New Jersey aren't allowed to exclude pregnancy from their coverage, although I've never researched that exact issue.  And I can't be certain whether or not your claim is actually covered, without looking at the bills and your insurance.

New Jersey's courts are fairly protective of people who have insurance, in disputes with the insurance companies.  And if an insurance company does not deal with you in good faith, they can be made to pay your attorney's fees, if you have to sue them to get what you're entitled to.  Because of this, many times, an attorney's letter will persuade an insurance company to "reconsider" denying a claim.  Sadly, some insurance companies do deny valid claims at times, just to see if they can save some money.

The fact that the law allows attorneys' fees in this sort of case means that you may well be able to get a lawyer to take this on for you, without a lot of money up front.  One place to look for qualified counsel near you is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption