Health insurance for Children going to college after the age of 23.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Health insurance for Children going to college after the age of 23.

I heard that in the state of Illinois that they passed a law mandating that the insurance companies will have to still cover your child if they are in college past the age of 23, is that correct? Or is it if they are independently insured they don’t have to cover them anymore?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Insurance Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not an Illinois lawyer.  My research suggests that there is a bill pending, but not yet passed, that would permit insurance companies to extend coverage to single, dependent full-time college students up to the age of 24, from 23 under existing law.  But it also looks like that while many health insurance companies do allow coverage to 23, they aren't required to do that, and the new law, if it passes, wouldn't make it a requirement.

If this is important to you, you might want to talk to an Illinois attorney.  One place to look for qualified lawyers is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption