Hawaii Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

A Hawaii name change is a fairly simple procedure that you can tackle on your own. In fact, the process is mostly a matter of filling out the proper name change form and filing it with the Lieutenant Governor in Honolulu. Here are answers to some commonly asked questions to help guide you through the process.

What forms are required for a Hawaii name change?

The following form is required to change your name in Hawaii:

  • Name Change of Individual (form A)

This form can be found on the Hawaii Lt. Governor’s website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Hawaii?

The completed forms must be filed with Office of the Lieutenant Governor in Honolulu.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. Oftentimes, banks offer notary services for free to account holders. Check with your bank to see if they offer such a service before paying a notary public.

Is there a filing fee in Hawaii for a name change?

Yes. The fee is $50.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?


Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of your name change must be published once in your local newspaper within 60 days of the Petition being signed by the governor.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption