What to do if I’m having trouble adding my girlfriend to my current lease despite having submitted the required forms to the landlord?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m having trouble adding my girlfriend to my current lease despite having submitted the required forms to the landlord?

I have a lease that specifies that guests are not allowed to stay for more than two consecutive weeks. Shortly after moving in I tried to add my girlfriend to the lease and the management company said it wouldn’t be a problem. They never however followed up regarding the appointments or paperwork. About a month ago I received an unprovoked letter from the management company’s attorney threatening legal action for allowing an unauthorized personie my girlfriend into the apartment despite signing a form granting her access and making attempts to add her to the lease. In response my girlfriend and I met with the management company and agreed to add her to the lease and signed a lease addendum. However, after three weeks I have not heard back from them confirming that the addendum has been accepted or received a copy of the appended lease. They have not responded to my follow up emails either. I am concerned about what their intentions may be now especially since they had initiated this correspondence through their attorney.

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the management company is not responding, then you may want to communicate directly with the attorney.  They are sending you demand letters based on incomplete and inaccurate information.  This tends to agitate some attorneys when their name is on the letter head.  He may actually be more helpful in getting movement and resolution.  Make sure that you only provide copies of your paperwork because you don't want your documents "accidentally" getting lost.  Whether submitting info to the attorney or the management company, make sure you do so certified mail so that you have proof they received the information--- because right now, many things will be a he-said/she-said situation.  If you're not comfortable talking to the attorney on your own, consider hiring an attorney for the limited purpose of submitting a response to his letter and your request to add your girlfriend.  Before you talk to either attorney, take the time to make a timeline of what efforts you have made so far, the associated documents, and who you talked to each time.  As you go forward, update your list as you talk anyone associated with this process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption