How do I stop a garnishment if I have paid the amount of alimony due in full?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I stop a garnishment if I have paid the amount of alimony due in full?

I am trying to get this stopped. The court system says he is the one who started it so he has to stop it. He told me my ex had to stop it. The department where the garnishment is coming from says the lawyer who started the garnishment has to stop it. What can I do?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a wage garnishment stemming from an alimony order which you believe is now paid in full and want the garnishment to end, the following are suggestions to end it:

1. send a stipulation and order to the other side for signature and return to you so that you can file it with the court and have the garnishment end. Once filed, the order needs to be served upon your employer as well.

2. if the other side refuses to sign the stipulation and order ending the garnishment, you will need to file a motion with the court seeking its end. If you had a family law attorney in the past, I suggest that he or she be consulted for this suggested proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption