How do I know if I’ve received a fair offer regarding my injury?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know if I’ve received a fair offer regarding my injury?

I have received an offer for just shy of $4000 for an injury claim after being injured in an auto accident that was not my fault. I had almost $10,000 in repairs on my car that they paid. Injury-wise I had X-rays and physical therapy for a few months. Is this a payout so that I won’t sue them for more? Should I confirm that all bill’s have already been paid before signing?

Asked on June 4, 2019 under Personal Injury, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A sufficient settlement should compensate you for the medical bills, pain and suffering, and wage loss.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement. Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports. Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement. 
It is advisable to contact all of the health care providers to inquire if all of their bills have been paid because you will be responsible for their unpaid bills. If there are unpaid bills, the settlement amount should be enough to pay those bills and leave you with a substantial amount as compensation.
If the case is settled, no lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with the settlement offers, reject them and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.
If the case is not settled, your lawsuit for negligence must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption