Can I sue someone in small claims for the time I had to spend cleaning up a horse stall since they did not do it as per our oral agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue someone in small claims for the time I had to spend cleaning up a horse stall since they did not do it as per our oral agreement?

I want to know if I have a case to take someone to the small claims court. I had somene who kept her pony at livery with me. She had a verbal contract that when she left the field, stable, etc. would be cleaned so I could let it to another customer. Even though she said she would on repeated text messages, she never did. I had to clean it and raised an invoice for my time and posted it to her. Now she is refusing to pay but her parents came after my letter and invoice and take some of her possessions she had left behind. I have only charged her $44.99 for 2 hours work, renewal of 1 broken post and a roll of electric tape that her pony broke.

Asked on May 17, 2016 under Business Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue in Small Claims Court for breach of contract / account stated.  The text messages, your letter and invoice will provide evidence of the existence of the oral agreement.  Without that evidence, it would just be your word against hers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption