have been with my partner for 12 years ,we are not married have 2 children in common we agree on separation he does not want to leave, thinks i should

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

have been with my partner for 12 years ,we are not married have 2 children in common we agree on separation he does not want to leave, thinks i should

what should I do? I own the mobile home. I don’t feel I should leave.

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Family Law, New York


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

NY does not believe in common law marriage so although you were together twelve years you are still two separate individuals with children in common. You may want to contact an attorney is the custody or child support is an issue.

As for who gets what because you are not legally bound each person is entitled to what they brought into the relationship and purchased while involved. If the mobil home is in your name only than he has no legal rights to it and will have to leave if you request he does so. It will help if you can show you paid for the home if he pursues this but he really has no rights to said property if you were never married.

I do advise you call a matrimonial lawyer, have a free consultation, and see if they can advise you further as to the appropriate steps to take if he refuses to cooperate and as I said if custody and support are an issue. Although not married support will be mandated if there is a separation of the parents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption