If my rental house flooded about 2 weeks ago and I have not been able to live there since, do I still have to pay rent?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my rental house flooded about 2 weeks ago and I have not been able to live there since, do I still have to pay rent?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not have to pay rent for conditions as to your rental that render in unsafe for you to live in. You bargained for a habitable living space with your landlord. There was a flood as to it rendering it unlivable by you. You had to live elsewhere during this time period.

It is unrealistic for your landlord to expect you to pay rent for this two week period. You should write your landlord a letter confirming with him or her that you will not be paying full rent for the next month due to the flooding of your rental and stating the dollar amount the next month's rental check will be.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption