If we have a 2nd mortgage that we have been in default on for almost 15 years, what do you suggest we do to settle this account?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have a 2nd mortgage that we have been in default on for almost 15 years, what do you suggest we do to settle this account?

The bank has never contacted us for payment. They probably own our house by now with a 12% interest rate.

Asked on January 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Really?  And nothing has shown up on your credit report and no one has levied anything or put a lien on the anything? I suggest that you go and speak with an attorney and bring all your paperwork with you from the second mortgage.  I can not imagine that you have fallen through the cracks like this but if you say that you have then it is time to deal with the matter.  Do you have the money to repay the loan?  If they have attacked your credit refinancing may not be an option.  I think that you really have to see where you are before you can decide what to do about it.  good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption