Has my brother got the right go have keys to the house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Has my brother got the right go have keys to the house?

I’ve been living in the house for four years now my dad died in April the
house is to be sold and divided between myself and my two brothers and
sister it’s in probate my dad has no belongings left in the house it’s all
gone my brother has no belongings in the house but I on the other hand do
and I don’t want him coming and going looking around when were not their
does he still have the right to a key

Asked on December 1, 2017 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it stands.  All heirs to the property have legal rights to enter.  So yes, your brother can have a key.  I mights strongly suggest that you place all your belongings in one room and notify the executor and your siblings that the assets therein are not your Father's property (I am sure that the Executor has inventoried all your Father's assets).  Otherwise, move the stuff in to storage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption