Harrasment at workplace

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Harrasment at workplace

My wife complains to here private company about her boss who is making rude and inappropriate comments about other people and women in her presence. Her and another female employee bring it to their other boss and HR. After it all happens, my wife loses her office and says she’s going to be put into a cubicle for ‘her protection’. I think this is not legal she doesn’t want to make waves.

Asked on August 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is not illegal to be rude generally--there is no guaranty of a civil or respectful workplace--BUT it is illegal to discriminate against or harass women by making sexual or anti-female comments to, about, or in the presence of them. If a company refuses to take action to stop such harassment after being made aware of it, or worse, punishes or retaliates against a woman for making the complaint, that is illegal under the anti-discrimination laws. If this was the case, your wife could contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency about filing a complaint; they may be able to order that this behavior stop, and/or your wife may entitled to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption