What are my rights if I’m being harassed by my fiancé’s ex-girlfriend via text?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I’m being harassed by my fiancé’s ex-girlfriend via text?

I am being harassed via text message from a burner number. Based on the context, it can be safely assumed it is my fiance’s ex-girlfriend. I’ve researched and it seems uncovering who is behind a burner number is nearly impossible. I have been advised to send her a cease and desist letter. If somehow it is not her messaging me, is there any recourse from her for me having sent a CD? The last thing I need is legal trouble.

Asked on March 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no liability to you for sending her a C&D letter. Where you could face liability is:
1) If you tell others, or post anything online, that she is harassing you when she is not: in that event, you may have committed defamation (by making a factual misrepresentation that could damage her reputation) and could be sued for it.
2) If you go further and try to press charges or sue her without evidence and it turns out you were wrong: there is potential liability for misusing the legal process.
But just sending her directly a letter will not expose you to liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption