What to do about harassment rights by an ex-boyfriend?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about harassment rights by an ex-boyfriend?

A guy Iused to date will not stop texting me. I have asked him to leave me alone and he has not gotten the clue. I blocked him last night on my phone service where he could not contact me. Well not even 2 hours later “someone” put a craigslist ad up about me and put my phone number on it. Ao at 5:30 in the morning I woke up to over 122 text messages and over 22 phone calls from people I don’t even know. I was just wondering if I could get him for harassment or anything. I have changed my phone number but I’m worried he is going to keep contacting me. What legal rights do I have?

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Besides the harassment issue concerning your former boyfriend, I would be worried about being "stalked" as well by him. If you want to file a petition for a restraining order as to him, I suggest that would be a wise course of action to end all communication with you.

You could file the petition on your own. Your county clerk most likely have forms that you can use for the filing of the petition. If not, your county law library would have the forms and the librarian there would be able to assist you.

Given the circumstances, I suggest that you retain a family law attorney about the restraining order that you are writing about to assist. Family law lawyers have a lot of experience in drafting such petitions for a restraining order.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption