Had an accident in the parking lot at my shop and got fired and owner took out 500 dollars out of my check is this legal

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Had an accident in the parking lot at my shop and got fired and owner took out 500 dollars out of my check is this legal

I work at Goodyear and had an accident
and the owner fired me and took 500
dollars out of my check is this legal

Asked on March 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Other than for taxes, child support, wage garnishments and the like, as a general rule an employer can only make deductions from an employee's paycheck if the employee gave their express written consent. This does not mean that the employee does not owe for an accident, it's just that other repayment arrangements would have to be made; if they are not then an employer has the right to sue the employee. That having been said, a few states consider an accident the cost of doing business so an employee cannot be held liable for them. To find the law in your area, you can contact your state's department of labor or consult directly with a local employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption