H1B for a teaching position

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

H1B for a teaching position

I am an F-1 student currently on OPT. I did a master’s in biology and got a high school biology teaching position in a public chartered school. My OPT will end in 11 months. I cannot get a STEM extension on a teaching job and my position lasts for another 15 months. My employer is willing to file an H1B visa to extend my stay until the next school year or so. The school is a new one and is opening for the first time in 7 months. My employer never filed a work visa before because the school is opening for the first time. I want to know the steps my employer and I should take for the filing process and if there are any issues that can arise either due to my major or OPT or time etc. Also, I wanted to make sure if a public chartered school counts under a non-profit organization?

Asked on February 9, 2019 under Immigration Law, Oklahoma


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should probably get an attorney to assist you and the school with filing a new H-1B visa petition for the upcoming year.  If the school is not yet open, does the entity already exist and can provide documentation such as its ID and revenues/income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption