h1-b extension

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

h1-b extension

H-1b currently is issued for 3 yr based on an approved i-140 from previous employer. Having exceeded the 6 year H-1b limit, what implications could arise under the following scenarios

1 New i-140 by current employer is not filed/approved and the priority date becomes current

a Would the H-1b still be extended for 3 yr still if the H-1b has to be extended at the same time

2 Should the need arise to change jobs, how would the status be maintained especially when priority date becomes current and the new employer has not initiated Perm/i-140 process

Asked on May 8, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your H-1B is extended on the basis of an approved I-140 from whichever employer but it is expected that when you can file the I-485, you will do so; otherwise the H-1B will continue to be extended.  If you are changing employers, you will need to explain to them what needs to be done and when.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption