guaranteed pay raise

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

guaranteed pay raise

I am a state of New Jersey employee and as of our
last contract we were supposed to be getting a raise
and retro pay. Our raise was supposed to go into
effect the last pay period. Some did get the raise but
there is a group of us who didnt get the raise. Hr
said there was an error with the state. Are we still
entitled to the raise that we did not get? And so they
have a certain time to get us the money by?

Asked on December 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your raise was guaranteed by a contract, including a union contract, you must receive the raise when the contract said you should. If not, you or your union on your behalf could sue your employer (e.g. the department, etc. you work for) to enforce the terms of the contract. Any raise needs to be retroactive to when the contract said it would take effect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption