Grandmother died and i got a house in the will but never seen the will

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Grandmother died and i got a house in the will but never seen the will

My grandma died she had a lot of money and left me and my sister co-owners of a house and we never saw the Will but my dad and his brother got a lot of money my dad said it was theirs I did see a register that had $44,000 in it and it said my grandmother’s estate on it shouldn’t that have been divided between me and my sister also since we were named in the Will my dad said we was named we didn’t see the Will though isn’t the estate account the probate?

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  So if your Grandmother had a Will and it was probated then it is a public record and on file in the Probate Court.  You can go and get a copy. You should have gotten a copy when the estate was probated.  Your Father (whom I assume is the executor) breached a duty to you if you guys did not receive one. Start there.  The executor of the Will has to file an Inventory of Assets and an Accounting as well if required by the court or heirs.  Take the documents you copy to someone to review.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption