grandfathers will

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

grandfathers will

My grandfather died 6 years ago and I have a feeling that he would have left me something. However, I never saw the Will and my family will not talk to me about it.

Asked on February 23, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, since so much time has passed, the Will has undoubtedly been filed with the probate court. It would be in the county in which your grandfather was domiciled as of the time of his death. Once filed, a will becomes a matter of public record so you, or anyone else for that matter, can see it. Also, if you were listed as a beneficiary of the Will, you should have been notified of your inheritance by the executor, so possibly you were not named in it. Otherwise, at this point in time, there probably really isn't much else that you can do as a practical matter. However, to be certain of your rights under spedific state law, you can consult directly with a probate attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption