grandfathered in vacation time

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

grandfathered in vacation time

I’ve been at my job for 18 years and have been grandfathered into 3 weeks vacation. I put in my last 2 days, however they are telling me that I will not be getting paid for them. They said that I have no time coming but I have all my days writened down. What can I do about this?

Asked on December 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your state does not require the payment of accrued (including grandfathered) vacation time when employment ends *unless* there was an actual policy at the employer to pay such days: if they did not have a formal policy (e.g. in a policy manual or employment contract) of paying unused days when you left employment, they do not have to pay you.
If they did have such a policy of paying on termination, if they won't voluntarily honor it, you could sue them for the monetary value of the time. You would have to prove in court, by a preponderance of the evidence (that it is "more likely than not") that you have accrued but unused days. If all you have is your own notes of how many days you have and nothing from them (e.g. no email, nothing on pay stubs, etc.) annotating the days, you may find it impossible to win, since ordinarily, vacation days are memorandized by the employer; an absence of documentation suggests you did not have those days.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption