Must all beneficiaries to a trust wait for their disbursements if one beneficiaries has asked for an accounting?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must all beneficiaries to a trust wait for their disbursements if one beneficiaries has asked for an accounting?

My grandfather passed 7 months ago; he had a revokable trust. Then 1 of the 9 beneficiaries asked for a full accounting ot the trust. The trustees are not acknowledging his request but because of it they will not disperse the trust. I feel like my portion is being held hostage because they are at a stalemate. Can they disperse the money? Can the beneficiary who is asking for the full accounting still fight this after the trust has been dispersed or are we all just going to have to go years without seeing any money? There is 1.5 million is in the trust.

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Well first off generally the trustees can not "ignore" requests made and if they do so and disburse the funds and the beneficiary brings then to court to demand it, if there is a contest to the disbursements it can be an issue.  So they might want to speak with their lawyer and try and come up with a compromise to a situation to avoid legal fees taking up all the funds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption