Grandfather passed away 18 years ago. Who keeps the house?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Grandfather passed away 18 years ago. Who keeps the house?

My Grandfather passed away 18 years ago and my father moved in to the house. The house remained in my grandfather’s name. My father passed away in 2006 and my mom remained in the house until April 2009. There are 11 siblings. The house is still under my grandfather’s name. Can one of the siblings take over the house if not all are in agreement?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think somebody needs to take the responsibility of getting this sorted out properly, before it ends up in an expensive lawsuit.  This would start with having your grandfather's estate administered, and the title to the house transferred;  this would probably have to be done in several steps, one for each person would properly have had the title transferred to them in their respective lifetime.  I'd very strongly advise having an attorney on board to get this all sorted out.  One place to find a lawyer who can help untangle this mess is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption