What to do if I got rear-ended at a stoplight?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got rear-ended at a stoplight?

The gentleman who hit us was in a borrowed car with what we thought was valid insurance (it was in the accident report as being valid at that time). After 60 days the car owner’s insurance company sent us a form letter stating the car had no insurance and that the driver was not at fault. Yet, he was issued a citatation after the accident was investigated and a copy of the accident report was given to both parties. What are my options to reselove this matter – small claims or civil action?

Asked on October 11, 2013 under Accident Law, Illinois


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The police report and the citation do not necessarily rule the day with respect to civil liability.  If you have any injury at all from the accident, such as whiplash requiring chiropractic care, you should seek out a personal injury attorney.  If not, you can sue the at-fault driver.  Whether you choose small claims court or a regular civil action will depend on the amount of damages to your car and the small claims jurisdictional limits in your county's court system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption