Got pulled over for doing 58 in a 35 zone

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Got pulled over for doing 58 in a 35 zone

Since it was 20 above I have to go to court, when I’m in court what do I say? I do realize now it was extremely dumb and I was only going that speed for a couple seconds. I wasn’t just cruising at 58. Do the judges usually feel unsympathetic since I was really abusing the law? Is Traffic School an option to ask for?

Asked on August 27, 2017 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Speak to the prosecutor when you first get to court. If you otherwise have a clean record, it is likely--not guaranteed, but likely--that he or she will offer you the chance to plead to a lesser offense (i.e. few miles per hour over the speed limit), especially if you inquire into taking traffic school or defensive driving class and show your willingness to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption