Got into an accident, Gave false info to adjuster

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Got into an accident, Gave false info to adjuster

I was driving down a 2 lane street which parked cars are on the right side, there
was a car behind me honking and road raging I pulled to the side of the road to
let him through, and continued to drive straight when he slammed on his brakes
and caused me to collide in his rear. I told the adjuster he went over the curb
to get infront of me and slam on his brakes. adjuster said there is directional
damage. can I get charged for fraud for giving false info on my claim?

Asked on April 20, 2016 under Accident Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, lying to the insurer about the facts of an accident and claim is insurance fraud. You could have your claim denied; you could be sued by the insurer; you could even be criminal prosecuted. What you said was a false representation of critical facts after liability and the insurer's obligation to pay and would clearly constitute insurance fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption