What can I do if I got fired due to another employee that told my boss that Isaid “I was never coming back”?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I got fired due to another employee that told my boss that Isaid “I was never coming back”?

I gave a 7 hour notice to my work (which only requires me to give a 3 hour notice) that I was not feeling well due to a medical problem and that I would not be able to make it to work that night. Later that night, I went on my online schedule to see what other days I work and it said that my account was “inactive” aka I was fired. I found out today that the reason I was fired was because a waitress at my work told my bosses that I “hated my job and was never coming back”.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you need to try and straighten this out with your employer. You may be able to still get your job back. If not, then unfortunately, there probably isn't anything else that you can do. The fact is that in an at will employment relationship an employer can discharge an employee for any reason or no reason at all (with or without notice). They have a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment unless there is an employment contract, union agreement or existing company policy to the contrary. Additionally, actionable discrimination must not have been a factor in the termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption