How best to handle an illegal discharge of a firearm charge?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to handle an illegal discharge of a firearm charge?

Discharged a gun illegally while hunting. It is my first offense. What are my options? I can’t afford a $1500 initial attorney fee. Should I just show up to court and just take what ever the judge decides?

Asked on June 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so if you can not afford an attorney ask that one be appointed for you when you go to court. Or try legal aid or any other pro bono organization in your area like law school clinics who may be able to help.  Do NOT just go there and take your lumps, so to speak. If it results in a conviction then it could follow you the rest of your life on a background search.  If it is charged as a violation then it may not be so bad but I highly doubt that you would catch a break without someone there by your side making sure that your rights are protected. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption