What should I do if I got a warrant out for my arrest for attempted theft?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I got a warrant out for my arrest for attempted theft?

I’m a subcontractor for a whole sale food place. I put meat into an empty box just like everyone there does because it makes it easier to deliver. Before I could pay for it, I realized that my wallet was in my car. As I was walking to get it, a co-worker called me and said they think you’re trying to steal the meat and they are calling the cops. I have never been arrested and panicked. Now almost 2 months later, I have a warrant out for my arrest. Do I need a lawyer present when I turn myself in? I don’t want it to seem like I’m guilty but I also do not know if the cops are going to try and talk to

me and me say something wrong by accident and they use that against me in court of it even goes that far.

Asked on May 31, 2017 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You really should have legal representation for this. The fact is that the as soon as a lawyer is involved the sooner they can begin to possibly either get the charge dismissed or reduced and clear up the warrant. Until this is done, you can be taken into custody at any time. An attorney who practices in the area is best since they will have contacts within the local court system. And one thing is for certain, do not speak with the police without having a lawyer present. You are under no duty to do so and they are trained and experienced in getting suspects to unintentionally make incriminating statements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption