If we got a package from fedex addressed to us,can we keepit or do we need to return?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we got a package from fedex addressed to us,can we keepit or do we need to return?

No return address; no shipping information on the inside at all. Contained 30 CD/DVD combos in it.

Asked on December 22, 2011 under Business Law, New Hampshire


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you do not believe it is yours and was accidently sent to you, most states have pretty strict laws regardding how to handle found property. Usually depending on the value, they can require you to publicly advertise it, give it to the police, wait a year or more, etc. before you're able to claim it. You'd have to reference your specific state laws, but I would simply recommend returning it to Fedex in that case. They would probably be able to find out where it came from based on the tracking information and contact the sender for instructions.

If you think it was intended t be sent to you, but you simply don't know who sent it, I can't see any reason you wouldn't have the right to keep it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption