If my wife and I are part of an LLC that we want to take our names off of, how do we do it?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I are part of an LLC that we want to take our names off of, how do we do it?

We have sent operating agreements to our business partners and have never received anything back. I know we can’t just walk away from it. Is there any other course of action for us?

Asked on October 2, 2014 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can't simply take your names off an LLC. Rather either--

1) Other people need to acquire all your interest in the LLC (and you resign from any any positions you hold with it); or

2) The LLC itself is dissolved.

If you can get the other partners to buy, or simply take "for good and valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged" your interest in the LLC, that will take care of it. Or if you and your wife are majority owners, you can dissolve the LLC and distribute and assets (and debts). If you are minority owners and cannot get anyone else to buy/accept your interest(s), you'll have to go to court for a court order ordering that the LLC be dissolved; if you need to do that, you should get an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption