Going back to school.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Going back to school.

If I want to return to school,can my employeer either make my full time position part time or lay me off all together? My school schedule would not coincide with my work schedule at all.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Wyoming


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a contract with your employer, or there is an employee handbook that says you can only be fired under certain conditions and that is also worded in a way that can make it serve as a contract (and this is very rare), your employment is "at will."  This means that your employer can cut your hours or lay you off without having any reason at all.  There are some limited exceptions, illegal reasons for firing, etc., such as racial discrimination, or retaliation for something like filing a complaint about sexual harassment or making a workers' compensation claim, but nothing in your question suggests anything like that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption