Getting US citizenship

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting US citizenship

I have a co-worker/friend who was born in the U.S. at a residence and there was just a midwife. His parents were illegal immigrants so they never went through the process to get his U.S. citizenship.

Currently he has a work visa and is in the EMS field and trying to get employment at a fire department, however most require him to be a U.S. citizen. What would the process be for him to claim U.S. citizenship and get official documents other than the naturalization process which foreign individuals have to go through?

Asked on July 16, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There would not have been any process to get US citizenship.  If he was born in the US then he would automatically be a US citizen.  Did he ever get a birth certificate to show when and where he was born?  Would he not have had to get one in order to attend school, etc?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption