Getting someone out of my haouse

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting someone out of my haouse

I let my girlfriend and her daughter who has 5 children move into my home. Since then my girlfriend and I are no longer together. I have asked her to move her and her family out of my house. I’ve given her a 30 day verbal. Some things were said during the relationship that has given her the impression that she could stay indefinitely. There is nothing in writing as far as an agreement. I live in Ohio. I want to be fair but I want them out.Can you help?

Asked on April 29, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Depending on all of the circumstances (how long as she lived at your house, has she paid any bills, does she receive her mail there, etc.), your ex-girlfriend may have attained the legal status of "tenant". At the very least she is a "guest". In either event you must serve her legal notice to vacate, which typically must be in writng. If she is a tenant, 30 days is usual; if she is a guest it may for as little as 3 days, depending on state law. If she and her family fail to remove themselves by the date you have specificed in the notice, then you will need to file for a formal eviction known as an "unlawful detainer" action (if she is a tenant) or an action in "ejectment" (if she is a guest). In the meantime, take no self-help measures such as changing the locks, removing their belongings, etc. Further, since this is all can get a bit complicated, you really should consult directly with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption