How do I get my money backafter returning a used lemon?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my money backafter returning a used lemon?

I bought a car from a buy here/pay here. Then 4 hours after purchase it did not start. I jumped it and returned it to the lot. When I asked the owner about it they said”they forgot to tell me” that it needed this and that. I insisted on returning the car. I made the owner write out a statement saying that my money will be returned in full. That was over 2 weeks ago; I still don’t have my money and the owner keeps saying that the money is not in her account. What can I do?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would write the owner of the car that you returned it to asking for the return of what you paid as part of the cancellation of the vehicle's purchase by a stated date. Keep a copy of this letter for future need.

If you do not get the money paid to you by the due date, then your option is to file a legal action against the seller for what is due you. Such might be able to be done in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption