Getting less than minimum wage, what do i do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting less than minimum wage, what do i do?

Ive spoke to my employer about it and
they arent raising my wage even though
they know its illegal. I don’t want to
report them to the police since im sure
it can be worked out much easier. What
do i do?

Asked on July 31, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You would not report them to the police: this is not a criminal matter. Since you legally *must* be paid minimum wage, you are entitled to at least minimum wage--and retroactively, to the difference between what you have been paid for the last two years and what you should have been paid. However, the only way you can get the money is by taking legal action: either by filing a complaint with the state or federal department of labor (which enforce the wage and hour laws) or by filng a private lawsuit for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption